BYOMA - Protecting and Monetising Your IP
Event on 2014-09-15 09:00:00
Protecting and Monetising Your IP
The value of content is increasingly focused on the exploitation of IP rights in a complex media market whether a direct financial gain or in benefits to the business.
This 20 credit module is aimed at those who want to exploit the potential of existing content further, but also those that wish to design and produce multi-platform, multi-use content.
The module will enable participants to -
- Understand how to maximise the value of content with a view to exploiting intellectual property.
- Establish an understanding of the issues surrounding the scope and practice of Intellectual Property law and how that applies in the exploitation of those rights in new and innovate ways.
- Understand how to develop and expand the possibilities offered by the traditional TV production model.
- Maximise the benefits of newly available transmedia products and services from the Internet/mobile to social media models (i.e. Facebook, Twitter).
Using a background of intellectual properly law, copyright and new business models, the module will look at upfront funding and investment, integration of new media products and services, new market identification, new commissioning models and IP value maximisation. The module begins with an intensive 2-day workshop with presentations by media professionals.
The module requires participants to articulate/demonstrate how knowledge of these areas has been applied to development of their own project.
During the workshop there will be presentations on six key themes during which participants will learn about:
- Funding strategies - Dealing with deficit funding effectively, understand how to finance up front investment and to plug the finding gap, attracting external partners and investors and creating successful joint ventures.
- Making more than TV shows - How to integrate the making of new transmedia services into a traditional TV production process.
- New markets - how to identify new markets for existing content or production spin-offs and how to sell on content into new markets
- Commissioning - Understanding the different requirements of commissioners and developing new models of commercial relationships
- Improving performance - Using industry case studies from successful new programmes and content producers to understand ways of increasing profits and optimising savings
- Maximising the value of IP - understanding the different elements of content, their values, and how to exploit them e.g. through iterative launches; by searching for new, previously unconsidered opportunities by increasing the values of your creative capital and by selling it directly to new audiences
Following the workshop the participants will work with a tutor via on-line seminars and tutorials to identify a project (normally work based) through which to explore the monetisation of content.
6 Penrose Way
Greenwich, United KingdomRavensbourne